Çar. Eyl 27th, 2023

A woman died after eating homemade sardines at a restaurant in Bordeaux, France. Other customers who ate sardines on the same date were hospitalized. It was determined that the woman’s cause of death was ‘botulism’ transmitted from sardines.

A woman among the customers who ate homemade sardines served at the restaurant called ‘Tchin Tchin’ in Bordeaux, France, between 4 and 10 September, died. It was reported that the cause of death of the 32-year-old woman was ‘botulism’ transmitted from sardines.

12 people were hospitalized
12 people, including American, Irish and Canadian tourists, who ate the same sardines, were hospitalized. It was stated that 5 of these people were connected to a respirator. It was reported that all of the customers in question ate sardines that the restaurant owner kept in jars.

A local newspaper wrote that the restaurant operator threw away some of the sardine jars because of the bad smell, and offered the sardines in the others to the customers. It was also stated that the operator was not authorized to sell this product.

What is botulism?

* Botulism is a serious neuroparalytic disease affecting humans and animals.
*The disease is caused by the toxin produced by the ‘clostridium botulinum’ bacteria.
*’Botulinum neurotoxin’ blocks nerve functions, causing respiratory and muscle paralysis.
*The most common way of transmission is the consumption of improperly preserved, non-sterile food.
*The disease can be serious if not treated in time, and 5% to 10% of cases can be fatal, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).